Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ta-Da! Tuesday--Day 27: Little Things

This week I accomplished a lot but it was mostly little things and mostly on the weekend.  The amount of sewing I had on my plate was kind of stressing me out and I just didn't want to do it.  Once I remembered that the projects weren't mandatory I was able to relax and stop putting them off.  I guess that's what happens when you've been so used to having deadlines for paying customers, even if that hasn't been the case for more than two years.

There's no picture of the skirt I stitched up really quick because I haven't hemmed it yet.  As soon as I do I'll post a picture.  The Pink Blur got her outfit to match the Surprise Dress but I never took a picture and it's in the laundry at the moment.
New wallet.
I did, however, participate in the Passport Wallet Sew Along on SewitGirl.  Here's a quick tip, there is a discount code for some PDF patterns in that post and they are good until the end of the month.  This is my first time purchasing a PDF pattern.  For another quick tip, the instructions on SewitGirl are way more clear than what's on the pattern.  I wish I'd looked through those before sewing up my wallet.
I love the inside.
I'm loving the wallet.  Before I finished this I carried my license and cards in my planner.  That meant I had to carry the diaper bag e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e and that gets old.  This wallet fits my necessaries and I can shove it in a jacket pocket when I don't need to haul around the diaper bag.  Mine ended up smaller than it was supposed to but it still fits everything.
For wrapping up sweet babies who are born before their time
I also finished the Annie Blankets.  When I went to buy the fabric I was surprised at how little they had available in delicate flannel prints.  This was the most subtle print I could find.  All the rest were garishly bright background with candy or skulls printed on them.  I figured it would be best to stick with the green and white houndstooth.  The big surprise for me was my reaction to the finished blankets.  When I saw them in their finished form it took my breath away for a moment.  Seeing and holding those little blankets took me back to the day almost exactly six years ago when I held my first little boy wrapped up in a blanket just like these.  I remembered what it was like holding the empty blanket to my heart so many times after we returned home without our son and weeping for what might have been.  Enough time has passed now that I can look back on the lessons I learned while I was in the thick of grieving and be grateful for them.  I can't say I'm grateful to have lost my first baby, but I can say that what I learned from the experience is sacred and special and I'm glad to have learned it all.  I hope these can bring as much comfort to another set of parents as the one we have brought to us.  Actually, I wish no one ever had to use these.  But I have no control over that and so I gie these as a remembrance of my baby and of others whose parents didn't get to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment